Localization effort: The Website

It has been stated that having localized docs is an important goal of the Documentation SIG and since we already have some volunteers should we start the localization efforts with the aux webpage?

I know it is bound to change overtime but I think that having at least a translated list of goals and values could be a nice and quick upgrade.

I’m not by any means familiar with Astro or webdev in general so I ignore the technical side of this request but I feel I at least should post this. Let me know what do you think.

4 Likes

A good starting place would be here Add i18n features | Docs

1 Like

Okey, I’m going to try to create a Spanish version of the index page…

3 Likes

I think it is best to use localisation strings instead of the router based localisation option.

3 Likes

This seems like it could be the way to go, we could then also put up a Weblate - web-based localization instance or similar to make translation easier

4 Likes

Nitpicking while trying to not stretch myself to thin :wink:

If a few could figure out what the best process is to implement multi-language with Astro and than share the important code that could help a lot.

I’m happy to support the german translation, but don’t have the time to dig into Astro. Hence knowing how I plug my translation into a pull request time efficiently would allow me to contribute easily :wink:

4 Likes

That would be ideal since having to mess with Astro and company just acts as a roadblock for non web devs.

2 Likes

glad you like the idea, with a quick search I found i18next JSON files - Weblate 5.5.4 documentation and GitHub - yassinedoghri/astro-i18next: An astro integration of i18next + some utility components to help you translate your astro websites!, I’m currently hacking on Community tracking but once I have finished I’ll look into getting this up

2 Likes
3 Likes

Amazing stuff, great to start somewhere. Just left my two cents. Though, I’m not the best for any kind of Astro review.

Please add me as a reviewer when you’re ready, I can do Astro review

4 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Triage Permissions

I can handle the review. Am also well versed in Astro. And also yea for some reason you don’t have perms to add a reviewer. We’ll have to take a look at that.

2 Likes

Astro is quite comfy

2 Likes

A few hours ago I managed to create an incomplete Spanish version of the site but I ran into problems with my git setup. I can still provide the translations if someone can implement them.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to get them reviewed by another Spanish speaking person here such as @eri (if they are okey tho, I pinged them because I know they speak Spanish).

3 Likes

translations have moved into public/translations/{lang}/translations.json in my PR, it should be far easier to add new translations that way

2 Likes

I would love to review your translations and provide any suggestion or implement them in the website!

2 Likes

I’d be happy to review your translations, please feel free to request my review when your ready :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to @marshmallow we now have support for multiple languages. We have merged their PR. So translators feel free to get started on the translation efforts.

4 Likes

I have a local dev session going, with the site displaying on http://localhost:4321, but I am unsure how I view the site in a specific language.

1 Like