Localization effort: The Website

I think it is best to use localisation strings instead of the router based localisation option.

3 Likes

This seems like it could be the way to go, we could then also put up a Weblate - web-based localization instance or similar to make translation easier

4 Likes

Nitpicking while trying to not stretch myself to thin :wink:

If a few could figure out what the best process is to implement multi-language with Astro and than share the important code that could help a lot.

I’m happy to support the german translation, but don’t have the time to dig into Astro. Hence knowing how I plug my translation into a pull request time efficiently would allow me to contribute easily :wink:

4 Likes

That would be ideal since having to mess with Astro and company just acts as a roadblock for non web devs.

2 Likes

glad you like the idea, with a quick search I found i18next JSON files - Weblate 5.5.4 documentation and GitHub - yassinedoghri/astro-i18next: An astro integration of i18next + some utility components to help you translate your astro websites!, I’m currently hacking on Community tracking but once I have finished I’ll look into getting this up

2 Likes
3 Likes

Amazing stuff, great to start somewhere. Just left my two cents. Though, I’m not the best for any kind of Astro review.

Please add me as a reviewer when you’re ready, I can do Astro review

4 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Triage Permissions

I can handle the review. Am also well versed in Astro. And also yea for some reason you don’t have perms to add a reviewer. We’ll have to take a look at that.

2 Likes

Astro is quite comfy

2 Likes

A few hours ago I managed to create an incomplete Spanish version of the site but I ran into problems with my git setup. I can still provide the translations if someone can implement them.

Also, I think it would be a good idea to get them reviewed by another Spanish speaking person here such as @eri (if they are okey tho, I pinged them because I know they speak Spanish).

3 Likes

translations have moved into public/translations/{lang}/translations.json in my PR, it should be far easier to add new translations that way

2 Likes

I would love to review your translations and provide any suggestion or implement them in the website!

2 Likes

I’d be happy to review your translations, please feel free to request my review when your ready :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to @marshmallow we now have support for multiple languages. We have merged their PR. So translators feel free to get started on the translation efforts.

4 Likes

I have a local dev session going, with the site displaying on http://localhost:4321, but I am unsure how I view the site in a specific language.

1 Like

From the code I’ve read it should be by their identify for example http://localhost:4321/en/ for English.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been trying based on this: feat: i18n by mrshmllow · Pull Request #3 · auxolotl/website · GitHub, but given that I keep getting 404’s I’m guessing some type of redirect is missing - perhaps specifically from the dev mode?

1 Like

I’m not well versed in Astro, we best consult @coded.