Aux Beauty Campaign!

Before I embarrass myself with my phone ms-paint drawing, this style is more what’s in my head.

If done well (aka not like my render below) A tail with an Aux connection might give the icon a bit of distinction from other axolotl icons on the internet.

3 Likes

Or even something more subtle, like giving it a tail that has the two stripes like an aux cable, or making it have a slight diamond shape at the end, rather than the tail itself being a literal aux cable.

2 Likes

Hey @blue what do you think about softening the face shape a little bit?
bdf801eaad9654f8b46db3c1849bb67b80b1be0d

6 Likes

softened the face shape up a bit, then realized it would look better if i softened the rest of the body up to match. what do you think?

auxolotl-cuddle

(the reason i didn’t go all the way rounded is that some axolotls do have somewhat dome-shaped heads and making the head totally round would have fought with the rest of the body in terms of spacing + energy)

10 Likes

Catppuccin

I bumped into this well-designed theming project, offering nice pastel themes not dissimilar to what OMG.lol have as their fun, lighthearted and gentle branding.

The project is esp. nice, since it is crowdsourced and rolling out these color themes over an ever increasing amount of existing tools. Ideal for the purposes of Aux, I thought.

The catppuccin org sits on Github, and they have a fedi account at @catppuccin@fosstodon.org.

(PS. In an old version of the theme they were WCAG 2.1 AA compliant, which an open issue in the current version still)

3 Likes

you may want to post that to Aux Color Scheme

3 Likes

What a beautiful theme, I have 0 bias as a catppuccin maintainer at alllll.

16 Likes

I really like this one

4 Likes

You really cannot go wrong with all of the catppuccin variants, I’d be happy with any of them.

2 Likes

I’m feeling a notable Ghibli kodoma component in it. Not sure if ghostly is the desired effect. Maybe the face should go more in this direction?

sketch

1 Like

I like it but probably not best for a entirely sperate project. I liked how we were leaning into the pinks and such earlier.

6 Likes

I think we should tentatively commit to this logo, seeing as it won the informal vote for it, and most of the logo discussion since has been variations of it. It might help to see it in practice, and then we can of course iterate on it and try other stuff if people aren’t feeling it.

4 Likes

Would it maybe make it better if the tentaclethingies on the head were just a tad thinner? it feels like they’re a bit too fat for being rather thin (but hairy) on an actual animal.

how’s this?
auxolotl-cuddle

6 Likes

This looks good. I also think that a colorized version of the logo is where those tendrils will really stand out since they are typically a different, more vibrant color than the body is.

yep, i haven’t worked much with color schemes beyond my own, so i’m leaving colorization to people who can do it better than i can.

2 Likes

Thank you for all your work thus far, you’ve done a great job. I’ll be experimenting with some color schemes on this logo when I get home from work later today.

Yeah I like this a lot! Thanks for coming up with this and trying out all the adjustments! :heart:

3 Likes

Here are two colorized versions of @blue’s logo, one on a dark background, and the other on a light background with a heavy outline to help it stand out.
auxolotl-colorized-dark-background
auxolotl-colorized-light-background

2 Likes

Maybe thick outlines like what Axel did earlier? I kinda like that vibe it makes the whole thing feel soft and approachable.

2 Likes