Aux Name Enhancement

ah. tbh i need to switch away from namecheap for my stuff, i’m considering porkbun or something similar. all of my home-hosted stuff runs behind cloudflare anyways.

1 Like

Ah man, I thought we were getting trolled so I just bought auxolotl.com. I’ll transfer it to the org whenever that get setup/whoever we decide is in charge of that

1 Like

that is the Infrastructure Team’s Problem :tm:

lol, I tried as well just now

How about auxolotl.lol or auxolotl.systems? :smile:

1 Like

maybe consult with jake on this before spending money on a bunch of domains lol

1 Like

or, OR, we buy the domains and hold them while they appreciate in value. :smile:

4 Likes

spoken like a true software engineer

2 Likes

That was indeed me, I sniped it yesterday :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’ll sell auxolotl.com back to you guys for 300 thousand dollars

7 Likes

How about $3.50 and I throw in a hand made card? :smile:

13 Likes

I think Aux is a better name. I don’t think “Nix” or “NixOS” posed much of a problem. The auxolotol or whatever is a cool mascot, but as a name it’s gonna be hard to spell, say, and search.

2 Likes

Hm, I’m not sure. I do remember getting frustrated at not being able to find nix specific stuff, when searching for nix specific stuff. I can’t quantify how often that is/was, though.

And with Aux this might even be worse, since aux itself is a more ‘technical’ term, I guess.

Yes, Auxolotl is somewhat longer (both to write, and also to spell) - it’s not just a one syllable word after all. But I think that’s both the drawback and advantage: The additional length differentiates it more from other common uses of the same word. (i.e. for aux/nix there’s a lot more stuff using the same term (aux/nix) in a totally different context. The longer (and/or exotic) the word, the smaller the chance it’s also used in other contexts.)

1 Like

I don’t want to type auxlolotl search, auxlotol edit, etc. Seems like shorter names are better, even if there are collisions. I can’t explain this project to other people now. I have to explain them the weird name, that isn’t actually a word. It will trigger all spellchecks. Always red squiggly lines, etc. Seems needless complexity. My two cents.

2 Likes

The idea is you wont have to. You’ll be able to go to auxolotl.org and navigate directly to what you’re looking for.

Also consider that aux is a semi common name, and is already used for a port name. lots of things will show up in search engines when looking up ‘aux search’.

3 Likes

People know how to spell and say “aux”. I can talk about it in languages other than English. It’s convenient for actually using, for example $ aux search $WHATEVER. Aux has symmetry with Nix and Guix. I don’t spend a lot of time googling stuff.

I don’t think Aux is a great name for a project but pretty good for a CLI tool.

2 Likes

I see some of the confusion now. The plan isn’t to have no tooling under aux, in fact it’s likely that SIG: CLI will develop under aux, however being able to show up on search engines as something unique is important, so the official name is Auxolotl

1 Like

I’d really recommend following Guix’s lead and having consistent naming for everything, for example:

Aux is the name of the project. aux is the CLI tool. Aux System is the OS, etc.

Unless we are literally gonna change basics of Nix language I don’t think calling it “Aux language” makes sense.

This is a valid point however you also must consider that from the get go Guix is a very unique name whereas aux doesn’t have that advantage

1 Like