Aux Name Enhancement

I just don’t really think SEO matters. We aren’t doing e-commerce. Also, I just googled “Aux Nix” and this discourse forum was the top hit.

3 Likes

It’s not about SEO, it’s about being able to find what we want when searching, instead of other uses of a very common word
Trust me, my name is May. I know the pain.

3 Likes

I haven’t had any problems finding aux related content.

Wouldn’t this run back into the problem of repository vs CLI vs OS, though? I’m not against the idea, but Guix, being a project that started from scratch, had from the start the opportunity to organize itself more cleanly

1 Like

If we are just talking about the website being name auxlotol or whatever that’s one thing, but surely we aren’t gonna do auxlotolpkgs, etc. right? IDK if I can handle that many syllables all the time.

2 Likes

I thing these are all good points! From what I understand, the plan was that, even with the project name Auxolotl, the CLI would be called something like axl, but it still stands

I signed up for Aux. IDK what I am even doing now lmao.

Correct, we’re mostly talking official name and website domain, I believe some names for portions of the project were “decided” on down below but won’t be finalized until Section 2/3 of the roadmap

If the project changes names again in the next few days someone please send me a memo I guess.

I think “reservoir” is a cute name, personally, but alone it might be pretty unclear
Maybe even something like “Aux Reservoir” would work better?
Though I still like auxpkgs, it’s visually pleasant

2 Likes

We are still talking Aux. Auxolotl being an easy and friendly name for community spaces. CLI will still be aux. OS may have a different name and the package set may as well.

We have a top-level repository, but I would like that to just be called “packages” for clarity.

8 Likes

Re: OS name: I think AuxOS looks ugly, but “Aux System” and “Aux Linux” both look and sound good, and neither seem to be associated with anything in particular already
The top result from Googling “Aux Linux” is about the aux flags for ps, which is a good sign

2 Likes

So “aux packages” ? What is the nixpkgs → aux called ?

If you mean the NixPkgs repo on the auxolotl account then I would just refer to that as the Aux NixPkgs fork. We will be doing away with it eventually, no reason to rename it.

3 Likes

what will the replacement be called?

Just Aux Packages seems fine

3 Likes

This is, of course, assuming we use standard naming - I think there aren’t any problems with the OS having a different name from the rest of the subprojects, specially since “using NixOS as your system” and “using Nix as a way to package stuff and manage dev environments” are pretty distinct experiences. Not many distros other than NixOS and Guix System are named after their package manager, after all. (Though obviously, not many package managers other than Nix and Guix are distro-agnostic)

1 Like

On why ‘Aux’ isn’t a great choice: plenty of search hits from ‘ps aux’ being a common linux command. Those are going to pollute many sane searches attempting to find Aux

2 Likes

In light of recent news, may I propose - Lixuid OS

1 Like

generally speaking it is good for the “brand” to have a consistent identity. Google Photos, Google Maps, etc. Not “Photo Wizard”, “Maptastic”, etc.