Aux Name Enhancement

Ah yes, thank you. That’s what I get for typing that out at 4am when I woke up :sweat_smile:

I did indeed mean reservoir

2 Likes

HydrauOS / HydreauxOS feels a little too close to Hydra (the Nix continuous build tool) for me :pensive:

2 Likes

What about H2OS? “H2 - OS”

5 Likes

Oooooh, that’s short and very clever. I’m definitely a fan!

Yeah I thought about that but tried to get “aux” in there. I do like it though.

just thought of another mascot - the Auxtopus.

4 Likes

(Not to be confused with GitHub’s octocat.)

1 Like

That might lead to too much confusion and/or to irrelevant search results, as auxiliary languages are a category of languages and that term for them is sufficiently often abbreviated as “auxlang” or “aux lang” when discussing such languages or that category.

2 Likes

A few ideas:

• FreshOS
  • LakeOS
  • LenticOS (inhabits still-water lakes)
  • XolotOS (aztec god of fire and lightning, source of the axolotl name)

Also, maybe we can make an axolotl emoji, like the nix parrot.

2 Likes

This is intriguing to me because aux cables were invented for phone switchboards, and I can vividly picture an “Auxtopus” sitting at one using all of its arms to operate it. Also, switchboards are a pretty good visual analogy for Nix’s declarative configuration capabilities. On top of that, being an underwater creature makes it a perfect companion for an Auxolotl.

4 Likes

@jacab has made some excellent points. Here is what I propose we do:

Right now we do not commit to names for the projects. Instead, we use placeholder names that are the literal thing that they are naming. For example, Aux OS. These names are only intended to normalize any language between SIGs right now when we want to talk about specific projects.

Then, we use the remaining time up until Phase 2 to plan out and decide on a naming strategy for our different projects.

9 Likes

My rationale here is that there are times we want to talk about “some kind of aux os”, but haven’t given it a definitive name yet. So things end up being picked at random like how the templates repo references FreshwaterOS: GitHub - auxolotl/templates: Nix templates for quickly bootstrapping a system with Auxpkgs

This way we can at least have consistency in the “it is an aux thing that is an os” while not having to choose a name yet.

1 Like

I wholeheartedly agree. The eventual names of each project will naturally be figured out as they are realized–so there’s no rush there.

2 Likes

Possibly late to the party, but auxolotl bring to mind so (https://www.axo.dev/ and their axolotl mascot). They’re a company that focuses on software release and distribution, mainly in rust.

Not a big clash, but I can imagine a remote future where the rust rewrite of auxolotl adds something from axo as a dependency, and that would be hilarious.

2 Likes

Okay agreed. But can we agree/converge on Auxolotl as the one umbrella search-term name?

I can already find what I want by googling “Auxolotl github” the public kinda needs a name to search for right now to find/join this project.

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely. Auxolotl seems to be the best so far.

6 Likes

Can we buy auxolotl.com while we can?

Looks like someone just recently grabbed auxolotl.org, hopefully that was @jakehamilton :sweat:

doesn’t seem like it, it has an adsense tracking code in it.

thats by default i think on namecheap when you run their nameservers and stuff

1 Like