Aux Color Scheme

I’ve seen Catppuccin brought up a few times, but people have reservations about the complexity (the pallettes include a lot more colors than we probably need) and with using a preexisting and commonly used pallette for branding.

What if we created a derivative color scheme based on a Catppuccin variant? Catppuccin already includes helpful style guides for how to best use the pallettes, so we’d have a pretty good base if we reduced one of the pallettes and modified the colors to our liking.

Hypothetically, and depending how drastically we change the original pallette, this would leave us with a Catppuccinesque–yet unique color scheme and associated style guide.

1 Like

Here’s what I came up with from trying this. I opted to ease up on the pastels and go for some louder colors as well as a darker and more de saturated background.

The original Catppuccin palette
catppuccin-mocha

Dark
auxolotl-theme-dark

Light (just swapped the text and background colors)
auxolotl-theme-light

You can see some of these colors used in a logo here

3 Likes

I’m not sure if I like #cfe6f7 with this very much though, I’ll probably change it to just a pure white or at least a subtler blue tint.

1 Like

I agree, a sort of off-white slate gray would do well here

I wonder if slightly desaturating the pink and blue would be better :thinking:

1 Like

Updated version (desaturated primary/secondary, lightened accent, made the light blue more off-white)

auxolotl-theme-dark
auxolotl-theme-light

2 Likes

This is looking pretty good!

1 Like

And here’s an updated colorization of blue’s logo with these colors.
auxolotl-colorized-light-background-thick-outline-tendrils-gradient-2

2 Likes

Obviously, generative art is potentially problematic, and any final choices color choices / logos and art should come from a commissioned artist and/ or community member

buttttt, I think it’s still worth using for ideas

+ Dark background
auxolotl-colorized-dark-background

2 Likes

This is the colour scheme thread.

I thought about moving it, but it does have a handful of different color schemes so it still fits.

Sold!!! I think we should start using this :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alright, here’s the adjusted on-grid Inkscape SVG with the background removed (the outline is the same color as the palette’s background, so on the dark background it appears without an outline like above)
auxolotl-logo

6 Likes

This is just begging to be made into a sticker

2 Likes

Gradients can be inconvenient to work with in practice. Is there another way to get all the colors in?

idea 1idea 2idea 3

2 Likes

Hmm… I do like the one with the blue feet, since the color is spread out across the image more.

They look more like water bubbles to me when they are blue.

Only two tones looks fine to me

One discovery I made when brainstorming was we’re just a few edits away from looking like one of these.

2 Likes