The Register article about Aux

Was reading The Register and saw this article about Nix and Aux. It’s kind of an odd one. The author talks about why the split happened (one reason, anyway), and the rest of the article is about the weird filesystem :person_shrugging:t5: In any case, figured I’d share it here:

7 Likes

What a weird article

9 Likes

I don’t think the author understands how nix works. Tbh, I don’t have a full understanding either due to a lack of PhD, but it seems like the article was made to promote GoboLinux. That takes up half of the article…

8 Likes

Speaking of GoboLinux, I’ve solved the repo discussion: just create one single monorepo and drop every single package at the top-most level! GitHub - gobolinux/Recipes: The GoboLinux recipes repository

(/s)

6 Likes

Very fixed lol

5 Likes

Random blogger fails to grok nix, jumps at opportunity to drive some clicks by associating a baity headline with it, uses it to push some niche distro.

“Off topic” is a profoundly fitting category here :wink:

12 Likes

yeah, to be honest this article half feels like it was AI generated, if not it was created just to fill website space.

it casually drops “sobriquet” lmao

3 Likes

Seems the reddit got a hold of it https://www.reddit.com/r/NixOS/comments/1cs8qpj/nix_forked_but_over_politics_instead_of_progress. And seems some still don’t properly understand what we are doing (see sandros comment if you can get through that horrible mess).

3 Likes

It frankly also seems that they don’t seem to get open source either, describing it as “more fracturing” and thinking “a fork weakens a project”, when IMO the whole great thing about open source is being able to fork a project, being able to self-organise almost automatically into groups who agree on most ideas, and fork-phobic projects ending up a bureaucratic messes. see the section of Bryan Cantrill’s talk “Corporate Open Source anti-patterns” on the subject.

7 Likes

posted by the “wokeism has ruined nix!!!” guy which is fun. really trying to spread as much hate as possible. and of course jon ringer in the comments. the classic duo on reddit

9 Likes

The saddest thing about woke warriors is that they’ll never understand why people “bring politics” into everything. When your entire existence is politicized, it’s hard not to let some of it leak into major parts of your life, like the volunteer open source projects you poured hundreds of hours into, or the communities you spent years building and nurturing.

Sorry if this is getting too off topic

9 Likes

Ugh… people keep bringing “life” into everything - just because it involves humans :wink:

6 Likes