Call for Core Maintainers

Aux is growing and we need to put together a set of contributors responsible for maintaining the vital packages needed for Aux. If you want to help, please reply in this topic with the following information:

Reason: (why do you want to be a core maintainer for Aux?)
Experience: (examples of past experience maintaining packages)

5 Likes

Reason: I want to see Aux grow into a successful and distinct project that addresses different social and technical issues with the Nix project. (Also I really want to fix how metadata is handled)
Experience: I’ve worked on a fair amount of Nix-related projects as part of Snowfall · GitHub and have worked on some parts of nixpkgs (packaging calamares installer & other fixes)

5 Likes

reason: I want to see aux succeeding and the found the barrier to successfully submitting to nixpkgs rather deterring.

experience: I’m not unexperienced with nix, but only been ~1.5 years into my journey with not too much packaging experience so far. I would love to learn and expand my knowledge and experience.

1 Like

I’d like to help out. I’m not really interested in joining more specific SIGs for reasons that’d take too long to explain, and aren’t very relevant anyway. So, the next best thing I can do, I suppose, is volunteer what little time I have here.

Reason: I switched to NixOS ~6 months ago after two decades of Debian use, and it transformed how I use computers. I want to continue enjoying what I came to love, and the power it gives me.

Experience: I was a Debian Developer for nearly two decades, maintained a fair share of packages, volunteered as ftp-master assistant (reviewing newly uploaded packages, and keeping the archive functioning), served as application manager (guiding people through the process of becoming DDs), and so on. I have plenty of packaging experience. My NixOS packaging experience is comparably small, but I’ve packed up a few things on my own. It’s not very different than Debian packaging, just trading copious amounts of perl, shell and make for Nix and shell. :wink:

5 Likes

Reason: I see the potential in Aux, and think helping out would be cool.
Experience: Pull requests · NixOS/nixpkgs · GitHub. I also did some stuff for mobile linux.

3 Likes

Reason: I’ve already signed up as a volunteer for the Rust-SIG and seeing as core maintainers are also sought for, I definitely can imagine helping here.

Experience: Most of the things from here apply here too. In addition to far-reaching Rust experience and being a nixpkgs contributor all over, I do have my fair share of experience with the languages (i.e. C and C++) used by most core packages in (nix)pkgs as well, so that’s no hurdle at all for me. I’m familiar with Arch and Debian packaging as well (latter due to $dayjob), which can helpful too in certain situations as well as reference, I suppose.

6 Likes

Hi all,

Reason:

My main goal here is to be able to review and get peoples PRs merged, I’m sure everyone remembers that feeling of when their first PR got merged and I want to get that done faster. I would love to see the growth of the project and I feel this is the best use of my time.

I would also love to continue working on my various package, and keep pushing them to the people who need them.

Experience:

You can find all the package i maintain right here (i just noticed it only says 3 but it should be around 8).

I have also written our first PR as well as the templates.
You can also find my public configuration here which contains various packages, modules and infra.

4 Likes

I’ve already volunteered for the Javascript SIG, although I’m also willing to contribute some time to the Core SIG work as well. I’m fairly familiar with working in nixpkgs, having contributed a few patches to it in the past, and after having daily driven NixOS for a few years… you get used to reading Nixpkgs source code :sweat_smile: I’ll also link my post in the JS thread as some examples of work I’ve done in the Nix space.

At the moment, I’d like to focus primarily on the Javascript SIG work - but I imagine the core is going to be a pretty high-volume, high-effort stream of work, so I’m more than happy to help contribute a few things here and there as well.

3 Likes

I’d like to help out with core stuff too if possible. :raised_hand:
I’m a little too online sometimes, so I can keep an eye out and help with merging PRs and triage.

I’m gonna be setting up some infra using aux in a bit too, so I could help iron out any issues related to that if they pop up.

2 Likes

Reason: core is really important, and I think nixpkgs screwed it up

Experience: I made nixpkgs skeleton an educational tool, for the minimum subset of nixpkgs needed to build cowsay on MacOS. I’ve poked around in the bootstrapping code and know some of the bootstrapping/staging steps related to XCode. I’m very familiar with the nix installer, which might help or be irrelevant I’m not sure. I’m also somewhat familiar with some of the global patchelf-LD_LIBRARY_PATH type stuff that goes on.

That said, I don’t know if I should join SIG core since I don’t really plan on doing maintainance work like getting the latest LLVM working for bootstrapping. I generally use old versions of everything.

I think I do know why the staging process inside of nixpkgs is so fricken complicated, and I think I could help design a system that makes it much more clear. So I wanted to at least mention that.

5 Likes

off topic but i just took a quick look and this is an amazing tool. i really wish i would’ve found it when first looking into nixpkgs structure :laughing: it really makes it much easier to understand

5 Likes

Reason:

It’s going to be a long road getting to a self-sustaining Aux pkgs and OS. Compared to others I maybe don’t have strong feelings about things I want to change on a tech level (well, I do, but they’re radical enough that it’s going to be a far future thing, if ever). However, if it’s anything like NixOS there’s going to be a large amount of “toil” just to keep things baseline healthy.

I definitely can’t do all or even most of the clerical pushing of buttons and reviewing of the PRs and so forth, but it seems like a worthy thing to contribute if it enables other people to focus on the grander things. I need an OS I can be happy with in my post-Nix era, and so far Aux is the best shot I’m seeing. So it seems reasonable to try and help keep things happy!

I’m aware that I’m going a bit Pokemon on the SIGs and committees, but looking at group size, it feels like there’s going to be many hats to wear for a while, so I’m registering interest for the union of all the ones I think I have something to offer.

Experience:

Honestly nothing quite on the scale of Aux/Nix as an ecosystem. I’ve been a github org owner for ~100 people and wrangled settings/memberships/automation for that, so I’m familiar with that side of the grunge work at least.

I assume Core is also going to involve debugging things like why is the bootstrap toolchain intensely sad with some new combo of libraries. Regrettably, I have gazed quite deep into the abyss of C bootstrap toolchains before for embedded and source bootstrap things, so there’s a chance I could be useful there too :sob:

2 Likes

Reason:

I love NixOS, but felt helpless to affect any real change, just dealing with the (sometimes questionable) decisions that came before. I very strongly want Aux to succeed, and unlike with Nix I feel like I might actually be able to help.

Experience:

I’m fairly new to Nix, only been using it (full time) for a year, and have only made local nixpkgs changes when fixing temporary issues, but have become a fan of the Nix language. I’ve also done a fair bit of C/C++ programming over the years, which I’d be happy to put to use.

1 Like