Call for Rust Maintainers

Aux is growing and we need to put together a set of contributors responsible for maintaining rust packages.
If you want to help, please reply to this topic with the following information:

Reason: (Why do you want to be a rust maintainer for Aux?)
Experience: (Examples of past experiences maintaining rust packages)

8 Likes

Reason: I am a very pationate autistic person when it comes to Nix based software flows and thus also have been for a hit while now eagerly awaiting a Nix fork in hopes of being able to help the thing I spend many hours working on / with (nixpkgs) to a new age, to not let the third attack (evangelion) succeed, so that instead the humans can take another try.
Experience: I’ve been working with rust and nix for a quite a while now if I may say, and as a rust dev myself (see efforts to port firefish to rust, with the help of a nix CI in the background, packaged quite a few things for nix in my time contributing to it, some things landed in nixpkgs, some in my NUR). Over all I think others would say, that I’m pretty good at maintaining rust things once someone gives me the hyperfixation :stuck_out_tongue: (like nix did)

8 Likes

Reason: I love programming in Rust and I love managing my systems in Nix. I have been following all of the developments lately and I was eagerly awaiting for a community project such as this one, so I am really excited to contribute to it. I am also very passionate about the projects that I work on (neorodivergent gang assemble!) and I would love to be a part of a community with tolerance and respect on the forefront.

Experience: Though I’m still early on my Nix journey (just under a year) I have a decade of Linux experience and I have been working with rust for a long while. I’m also contributing to rust projects like servo and bevy, and I would love to do that with confidence in Aux. I’m super willing to help mantain rust packages and create a good ecosystem for it!

6 Likes

Reason: I love Nix & Rust, and my work/workflow depends on both of them working
Experience: I have experience fixing build issues with gitoxide in nixpkgs and helping out with himalaya in home-manger. I also have ~2 years of Rust experience.

5 Likes

Reason: I’m using (& pushing) Nix(OS) passionately and was quite “dissatisfied” (to say to least) with the development in recent times, not only over the last few weeks. I’m heavily invested in Rust, using it for my own projects as well as part of $dayjob.
The most important part though - for me - is that I’m really, really care about free software and taking a strong ethic stance on that topic. Proprietary software is always a downgrade.

Experience: I’ve been writing software in Rust for about 6+ years, professionally for 3+ years, everything from bare-metal to large web/API backends. As for Nix/NixOS/nixpkgs, I’ve been using Nix for nearly 2 years now and 1 year being a nixpkgs maintainer, having contributed throughout the entire stack (see also this list for reference).

3 Likes

Experience:
I have been using rust since 1.0 and by now it’s my main professional programming language. I’ve shipped multiple medium sized (30-50kloc) projects using nix to handle release builds. I’ve added nix and nix flake checks for a large multi-language project at work.

Besides rust, I’m a maintainer of a handful of small rust packages in nixpkgs: gitu, and gex.

I’ve also contributed a significant amount to nix+rust build infra some months ago: crane-workspaces

I run NixOS on a home lab server, a desktop, and nix-Darwin on two aarch laptops, for a little more than a year now, so I know what the user experience is like for both platforms

Reason:
I love the maintainability of both nix and rust, and I want to see that continue in a healthy community. I think working with a team that thinks likewise would be a great experience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Reason: I consume some of the rust nix tools for my side projects and I’d like to climb upstream and learn things on the way.
Experience: I have Nix experience as a Maintainer, and more specifically I wrangled the Chia rust libraries for a while. (now dropped from Nixpkgs because it’s too much of a pain in the backside) I am still getting acquainted with the Rust ecosystem but it’s not my first ride.

2 Likes

I would like to eventually help out, but right now I am still both new to Nix and Rust, but I am spending lots of my free time to get better at both of them, so I hope i can be of substantial help soonish

3 Likes

Reason: I’m using rust + nix in quite a few projects.
Experience: I’ve packaged mdbook-pandoc for nix, and use nix for a handful of private & public rust projects.

3 Likes

I’ve added everyone here volunteering to @sig_rust. Welcome!

6 Likes

I volunteer :slight_smile:

Reason: Rust is my go-to language and I’d like auxolotl to have good rust suport. All my personnal projects end up being some rust and nix code, so I’m willing to help bring auxolotl in them too.
Experience: I have never maintained rust packages (for nix or anything), but I wrote a bunch of nix + rust. I contributed to small fixes in nix-cargo-integration.

3 Likes

@eri and @jalil I’ve approved your requests over on Github. :smile:

2 Likes