The Future of Aux and Nix

Hello there :wave:

Thanks for this post. I did sign https://save-nix-together.org/, therefore I will support Aux. With this post, I understand that me staying in Nix community for now, keep working on nixpkgs, and keep advocating Nix to the outside world are actions that support Aux.

Please don’t hesitate to correct me by any mean if this is not the case, or when this will no longer be the case.

5 Likes

I strongly agree with this statement (and the whole post).

I’m happy to see that the Foundation has taken a step in the proper direction and that there’s willingness to continue improve.

While it’s just a start and “”“nothing”“” is yet done it’s promising.

For the time being I think it hurts noone to continue working on this alongside nix.

5 Likes

it would be cool if Aux was sort of like another OS to NixOS as Pop!_OS is to ubuntu.

5 Likes
Getting a bit off-topic but still wanted to say

I think SnowflakeOS is closer to Pop!_OS in that analogy though.

Aux seems closer to systemd-less forks but instead of big technical change it’s a big social one.

I agree, since Aux should eventually not depend on anything Nix. As for SnowflakeOS, right now I plan to keep developing It with Nix until Aux matures, then potentially swap over (especially if I can improve Aux package metadata).

2 Likes

Aux has value beyond just leadership changes. The discussion on threads in this forum suggesting changes to things that simply stagnated for years in the original Nix ecosystem, which everyone came to accept as the “has always been” situation, was the main reason I was excited about Aux in the first place.

It is unfortunate that both resources and man-hours are scarce, and these changes must be implemented gradually to ensure the functionality (heh) of everyone’s system and packages.

Aux provides both the ability and the reason to work fast, without devoting so much time to backwards compatibility.
We have already identified and can improve the nearly-vertical-learning-curve experienced by new Nix users.

While this is a bit contrary to my previous statement, in the absolute worse scenario, Aux will serve as a hypothetical, a what-if Nix did …?
This should be of interest even to members of the original Nix ecosystem.
Considering the nature of the project, should its need eventually disappear, we can learn enough (both successes and mistakes) from it for it to be worth doing.

8 Likes

Aux provides both the ability and the reason to work fast, without devoting so much time to backwards compatibility.

I agree with everything you say but this bit. We need to dedicate some time to backwards compatibility at least for know whilst we are in this transition phase since we want to help users swap with ease. With limited people we can only dedicate so much effort towards making certain changes.

14 Likes

I am supportive of Aux, but at present I am investing my time into trying to help Nix out of the present difficutly. Should I request to become a member of the org now or wait until I have more time / the Nix situation is settled?

2 Likes

You can do whatever you like. We have a post for requesting access GitHub Organization Membership, though I would prefer those numbers to be people that would actively contribute such that we have a rough grasp on how much people power we have.

4 Likes