The Auxolotl wiki is up!

it needs postgresql, and the files are only a “sync” method which means that wiki.js has some internal store and the files are used to update it/be updated by it

Oh that’s a bummer. I was hoping it could be managed entirely off of a Git repo, like Netlify CMS

Just a side question, but why is it hosted on a .org domain whereas this forum is on the . computer domain ?

1 Like

We recently renamed from just Aux to Auxolotl so as to not reintroduce difficulty in finding resources like nix has, auxolotl.org will be the new domain for things going forward.

5 Likes

where was this rename decided?

A domain hack would even be possible since there is a .TL TLD.

2 Likes
1 Like

I just finished creating the Wiki Quickstart | Auxolotl Wiki page, which I think is a good start. Please help improving it or correcting any mistake.

I’ve also enjoyed working with the wiki, which was fairly easy to use and learn. The only thing I missed was vim keybindings :sweat_smile:, but I guess I can always work with the repo locally if I want.

I also found a project wikijs-customization, which does CSS/JS injection to accomplish this, among other things.

3 Likes

I love your page so much! This is a fantastic idea and you’ve executed on it well

I’ve added it to the sidebar so hopefully it’s easier for people who want to contribute to find

3 Likes

Thanks for letting me know! I’ve looked at, installed and configured it

2 Likes

Anyone know if it is possible to display more detailed diffs as an embed within the wiki? A bit more like difftastic / --word-diff

wiki.js had a plugin system last I worked with it. For example we used it to generate node & flow graphs via in-markdown text syntax. I would imagine something for diffs would be available in a similar flow?

The wiki should also be linked on auxolotl.org page, so it’s easier to find :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Fully agree!

Luckily a PR adding a wiki link was merged ~6h ago :grin:,
although I’m not sure how/when the website updates with the git repo.

1 Like

I believe it’s fully manual at the moment - @jakehamilton I figure you’ve got the hosting stuff, would it be possible to get some CD going on that repo?

1 Like

Thank you for using a modern wiki! Things are so dynamic around here. It took nixos multiple years to make the nixos wiki official and y’all have an official one in under a week! Well done! :clap:

3 Likes

Infra repo is still in the works. I have it running the new auxolotl site, but there are still some quirks we need to take care of for hosting. Once that is done I will be pushing it up and adding a deploy key on GitHub so we can have it push updates via actions

4 Likes

@minion

Thanks for the work!

Small nitpick after browsing the wiki for a few minutes:
The sidebar disappears a few seconds after the last click, even if it’s under the mouse cursor.
It’s kinda annoying since I only got so much time looking at the nav menu…

4 Likes

Some settings for the plugin definitely need to be tweaked. I’m currently updating Project Standards to include commit message format but I’ll see if I can change that afterwards.

3 Likes

The plugin isn’t super configurable, so fixing the settings is likely editing their JavaScript to get it to work… however, I’m struggling to reproduce the issue, are you able to provide me with some debugging details (e.g. browser, etc.) and possibly a short screen recording showing me what you mean? Hopefully that would help me fix it…

In the meantime, you can workaround this by pinning the sidebar. Heading over to the top right corner of the navigation menu and clicking on the pin icon, which looks like this, should keep the sidebar on the screen at all times

Once you’ve pinned it, the icon will change to a crossed out pin icon and your sidebar will stay even if you mouse off it

2 Likes

I could swear that wasn’t there before :wink: And yes it help, thx :+1:

Vivaldi 6.6.3271.61 (Stable channel) stable (64-bit)

It looks like it’s behaving a bit flaky. Sometimes things are good, sometimes not. Haven’t found a way to reproduce it.

4 Likes