Call for JavaScript Maintainers

Aux is growing and we need to put together a set of contributors responsible for maintaining javascript packages. If you want to help, please reply in this topic with the following information:

Reason: (why do you want to be a javascript maintainer for Aux?)
Experience: (examples of past experience maintaining packages)

Hi! I’m blue, and I’d like to help maintain JavaScript packages.

I have a lot of experience with all three current JavaScript package managers (NPM/Yarn+yarn-berry/Bun) and while I don’t have an unlimited amount of spare time to give, I’m willing to help create update scripts for Node, Bun and Deno packages in (Aux?)pkgs and enhance OS support for JS developer tooling.

I have extensively used both TypeScript and JavaScript, and I’m currently getting the hang of Rust.

Here are some of the nix-related things I’ve done:

Here are some of the JavaScript-related things I’ve done:

I’m really looking forward to helping out in whatever ways I can.

3 Likes

I’ll throw my hat in the ring for assisting in JS maintenance.

I’m a software engineer primarily working in web frontend development, so JS/TS and it’s ecosystem of build tools are very familiar to me. I’m fairly familiar with Nixpkgs’ existing tooling for building JS packages (specifically yarn2nix), as well as with base NPM and both Corepack-supported package managers (ie. Yarn and PNPM). I would personally be interested in contributing tooling for building packages with PNPM into Nix, as I feel that’s a bit of a gap in Nixpkgs’ JS support at the moment (especially given how much overlap there is between the way Nix and PNPM manage packages!). More than happy to assist with any JS-oriented work.

As some examples of work I’ve done in this both JS and Nix:

• pebble.nix - A collection of tools packaging the (long unmaintained) Pebble SDK, as well as for building Pebble applications with Nix
  • nixmox - A mechanism for building Themix themes inside of Nix
  • otter-painter - A fun toy website I built that you can use to cover a browser tab with pictures of otters
  • gwen-web-npm - Simple wrapper around the Gwen automation tool, allowing it to be installed and used in Node projects
  • And of course, my personal NixOS configurations that I’ve been maintaining over the past few years
2 Likes

Reason: life is too short to spend it rmrf-ing node modules
Experience: Nixpkgs none, flakehub a couple, a handful of npm modules and a good number of deno.land packages. I code an unhealthy amount of JS, no typescript. I do like assembly script and wasm through.

While I cant dump the necessary time into the heavy npm stuff, I can be the local Deno expert.

3 Likes